Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sardela

Turkey, green beans, yams and pumpkin pie...yeah, it’s almost Thanksgiving! You probably have the main course and dessert figured out but have you thought of an appetizer yet? If you want to serve something that will make your taste buds go crazy but won't do the same to your schedule, then Sardela is a great choice for you. 

Sardela is a very common appetizer in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It’s basically a paste made with red bell peppers, sardines or anchovies, onions, garlic, basil and other spices. A staple in Italian restaurants, the Sardela is served with thick slices of bread and pairs very well with red wine or a cold beer.

Apparently, there is some debate whether the Sardela is an Italian or a Brazilian dish. The Italians have something called “Rosamarina”, that is prepared with “bianchetti” fish, peppers, fennel seeds and olive oil, which sounds similar. Some people say that the answer may be  that the Italians who migrated to Brazil adapted the recipe with local ingredients.

That might also explain why the Sardela is so popular in Sao Paulo, where the Italian population is the highest in the country. But enough with history. The truth is that regardless where the Sardela comes from, it’s delicious!

I got this recipe from my dad and I love it. It's quick, very easy and you can prepare it in advance. It actually tastes better if you make it a day ahead. Just keep it well refrigerated in a sealed container.

Now,
I was actually very surprised that I don't have a photo of the Sardela I made. I guess I was too busy eating it and didn't take pictures! So, if you make this recipe, send me a photo of it at lolnlollies@gmail.com and I'll update this post with the first three photos I get. Make sure to send me your name, so I can mention it.



This is how the Sardela looks like. This one was made by my dad:






What you will need:
 4 bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of nuttmeg
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans of anchovies fillets (drained); or 1 can of anchovies and 1 can of boneless sardines (drained). 
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of marjoram
A few leaves of fresh basil (about 8)
Olive oil (about 1/4 cup, just enough to brown the onions)

How to make it:
Lightly brown the onion and garlic. Add red bell peppers, anchovies or sardines and spices. Cook on low heat until bell peppers are tender, for about 25 min. Let it cool a bit and then put everything on a blender. Blend it until you obtain a smooth paste. Serve it hot or cold with slices of Italian bread or baguettes. This is also really good when mixed with fusilli pasta too. Just add some fresh basil leaves when serving. yum!

Sources: Wikipedia; my dad. J
Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Tweet This Post
Blog Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked it? Leave a comment!