Friday, February 10, 2012

Hallo and Howdy!

Wow, it has been way too long since my last post! Sorry about that but after my finals I needed some time to recover. Then, hubby and I traveled to Germany for the holidays and when we got back it was already time to get back to school and work. It has been crazy. The good news is that I have a whole lot of new recipes from my trip to the old world!  

Our 10-day vacation through Germany and Holland covered Monheim-am-Rhein, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Aachem, Trier, Maastricht and Amsterdam. The trip was great and I will make sure to talk about some of the places we visit there. However, since this is not exactly a travel blog, I'm not going to focus on the castles, old churches and domes. Instead, let's focus on the food! Ah...the food was incredible!!!

Now, it is expected to gain a few pounds over the holidays, but with currywurst, sauerbraten, frikadellen, bockwurst and excellent beer...let's say Germany exceeded my expectations. Anyway...

One of my favorite things to do when I am traveling overseas is going to the local grocery store and checking out the different spices, sauces, etc. Much to my husband's amusement, I do that with a camera at hand. Nothing wrong with that, right? Besides, who wants to have 200 photos of old churches when you can take a photo of a lovely cold cuts and sausage display, right? Take a look:




Isn't that beautiful? Oh, see the rolled up ground meat above? That is the base ingredient for the "Mettbrötchen", which is nothing less than raw minced pork on a crispy roll, topped with diced onions, salt and pepper. 


I have to admit that the first time I saw my husband eating that I was really afraid. All my life my mother told me that pork needs to be cooked well to avoid diseases. Later, I figured if the Germans, including my hubby, have been eating this for ages, it should be safe when you are in Germany. So, I gave it a shot and it was wonderful! This is perfect for a breakfast, mid-afternoon or night snack, especially if having a Kölsch beer. My point is: if you are in Germany, don't miss out on Mettbrötchen! 




Next post: Cauliflower and grilled shrimp soup













Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Tweet This Post
Blog Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked it? Leave a comment!